Over the past years, we as Business Booking International have met a lot of successful people. These people came from all sorts of backgrounds and industries. They all had a fascinating story to share about what motivated them to be where they are now.
As all people, we were interested in what made them successful and what kind of advice they had in store for us. After a few conversations with different people, we noticed a certain pattern in the given advice. It seemed like a good idea to make a list of the most common tips we got!
- Focus only on commitment instead of motivation. How committed are you towards your goal? What are you willing to sacrifice in order to achieve it?
- Seek knowledge, not results. If you focus on the excitement of discovery, exploring and improving it will be easier to be motivated. The key is to focus on the journey, not the destination.
- Do not be afraid of failure. Failure is just an opportunity to start over again, but with more intelligence. It is better to aim too high and fail than to set your aim too low and achieve success.
- Thoughts will influence your feelings and feelings determine how you view your work. Get rid of stagnating thoughts. You have to focus on the thoughts that will make you move forward. Do not fear to step out of your comfort zone!
- When you are experiencing difficulties, you need to be energetic. If you keep repeating I hate my work, you’ll end up really hating your work. Just for a few days, think and say positive things only. See for yourself what happens. It’s a matter of imagination!
- Stop being nice to yourself by telling yourself that it is not the right time and that you’re not ready yet what will result in delays. Sometimes your actions fail to bring the results you want. So you prefer to be nice to yourself and not put yourself in a difficult situation.
- Get rid of distractions. Especially those easy, usual things you would prefer over focusing on new challenging projects.
- Don’t rely on others. You should never expect others to do something for you, not even your partner, friend or boss. If you want to achieve something you have to it yourself. That doesn’t mean you can’t ask for help!
- Learn to plan ahead and know your three steps forward. Fill out a weekly calendar, noting when you will do what and how.
- Protect yourself from burnouts. It’s easy to burn out when you are very motivated. Observe yourself to recognize any signs of tiredness and take time to rest.